Cory Monteith Overdose: Heroin Wasn’t Laced With Other Drugs, Says Coroner

rs_634x1024-130517115655-634.cory.ls.51713_copy_2Even a pretty solid answer didn’t stop the search for more answers yesterday when it came to Cory Monteith.

After the BC Coroners Service announced that the Glee star had died of mixed drug toxicity involving heroin and alcohol, speculation began as to whether yet another substance—namely, the opiate fentanyl—contributed to the Glee star’s sudden death at 31.

“Toxicology results did not indicate any presence of the drug fentanyl,” the coroner’s office said in a statement Wednesday.

Fentanyl is an opioid narcotic with similar behavior as morphine and, according to a report circulating among Canadian media outlets, experts are considering a possible link between it and an uptick in heroin overdoses in Abbotsford, British Columbia.

“Our frontline officers have spoke with many individuals who have reported being concerned about the potency of heroin that is currently being bought, sold and used,” Constable Ian MacDonald told CBC News this morning. “A possible explanation for the increased potency and the overdose may be the presence of fentanyl in the drugs.”

Per the report, the B.C. Provincial Health Officer issued a warning in May that there had been a spike in heroin overdoses linked to fentany, with 23 reported cases in the first four months of this year.

But as the BCCS reiterated, Monteith’s tox screen turned up only alcohol and heroin. Coroner’s spokeswoman Barb McClintock also said yesterday that the investigation into his death is ongoing, while Vancouver Police spokesman Brian Montague called it “a tragic accident.”

Hotel staffers found the actor dead in his room at the Fairmont Pacific Rim in downtown Vancouver on Saturday after he had missed his 12 p.m. checkout time.rs_560x415-130716060712-560.3.corey.rip.jc634.Cory.Lea.mh.022813Follow @Infocelebrity on Twitter!

Like us on Facebook!